Tuesday, 21 August 2007

More fireworks and Kumamoto City

I will add some more detail relating to the last 5 days soon...however you can probably piece the different activities together via the captions on the photos...
So, I just returned from 3 days in the big city (600000 people) of Kumamoto which is about two and a half hours away from my little village. We had an orientation session of two days with all the other participants from my region, which was interesting. There were about 70 of us...lots of different backgrounds...from the South African paleontologist...to the Indian English teacher...to the Hawaiian tv producer...to the majority - a bunch of young American college graduates!! with a few Aussies, Kiwis, Poms and Canadians thrown in for good measure! We had a fun time at a local beer garden, the Kumamoto castle - with a guided tour from the local high school students and had a night tour of the city via some cute local bars.

Yesterday I got my 'alien' registration card, so I am now officially a resident in Japan even though I am still classed and 'alien' for immigration purposes!!I also got a keitei denwa (mobile phone)...it is hot pink and very cool...I still have not figured out how it works yet though!

I am now back in my little house and it is still really hot here and the mountains and rice paddies are so green! There are so many mountains it's amazing. I am slowly getting used to the way of life here and everyone has been so kind thus far.
Last night I had dinner with Ayami and her second cousin Akane who is actually going to teach Japanese at a university in Toulouse, France for two years so that was cool. Her father is a chef in a French restaurant in Japan and that is where her interest stems from!! Crazy, but I had fun speaking French!

More fireworks and Kumamoto City

No comments: