Thursday, 2 August 2007

Mizukami Village - Kyushu Southern Japan

Wow, well after a two hour flight from Haneda domestic airport on Wednesday I have officially arrived in the deep countryside of Japan, my home for the next year...or two...on the Southern Island of Kyushu in Japan. The scenery is amazing, it is mountainous and green, there are fields of tea plants, rice and corn...
I am currently staying with a homestay family in the village who have a bed and breakfast, a beautiful wooden two storey structure, they are lovely and have a daughter who is 24 and speaks English and they also live with the grandmother, a wonderful extended family.
We had a welcome / farewell party last night with heaps of food, sushi, soba, karage, tofu, and a birthday cake for me which was very sweet. And I had to do my first speech in front of a room of Japanese which was a bit scary!!
We visited the schools as well which are mostly made of wood which is really pretty, we met some of the kids who are as expected very cute!
I am a bit tired, and overwhelmed, but everything is ok.

No comments: