Tuesday, 29 January 2008

January, Nico's visit

So I think that the last entry I wrote was for Christmas and New Year…time now to write about Nick’s visit. As I said to him, he would have been the last person I would have expected to visit me here in Japan but that is not to say that I was very happy to see him and show him around. We had a lot of fun and I am still tired! It was unfortunately rainy most of the time he was here which is unusual as it had been perfectly nice and sunny the week before. Anyway I picked him up from Kagoshima airport and we drove back to Mizukami and had a bit of a rest at home before going for a drive and then to dinner in Taragi. Monday, Nick came and helped me teach year 5 and 6 at which was fun and we ate lunch with year 5 and also got to watch taiko drumming practice for year 3 and 4. We walked to Fukinoto for dinner which was nice and we were the only ones there which was cool. Tuesday we had to go to Hitoyoshi for a work meeting in the afternoon so Nick came along and wandered around and checked out the old castle site and managed to order a coffee in a local café…
Wednesday was junior high school year 9 class which went well and then we had a lovely lunch with Ayami at Sagara. After lunch we drove up to shiramizu take suspension bridges…Nick failed to tell me that he was scared of heights before we left, but he was ok…think he enjoyed the challenge . We dropped in to Kyoko’s on the way back and she served us lovely lemon tea and milk jelly before we ended up having a drum lesson from her! English conversation class on Wednesday night was great, I didn’t have to do much because it was either the students asking Nick questions or Nick asking them questions! We ended going to dinner afterwards and to a bar to sing karaoke…Thursday morning we drove back to Kagoshima airport.
On Saturday I went to pottery class which was the first time for ages…almost a few months I think…well I have always been busy on the weekends…well at least Saturday mornings. The teacher came and it was the first time I had met him…I thought it would actually be a her, like an older woman who had been doing pottery for years, but no it was a man who was not particularly old but obviously good at working with clay. He showed me three different ways to make a handle for my teacup in about three minutes flat. We had lunch with the pottery ladies and even if I don’t understand much of the conversation I like to watch them chat, and Saturday it was my first time to try deep fried venison…actually very delicious! Sunday I decided to be nice and take the tennis club kiddies hot chocolate because it was so cold outside . I am feeling a bit tired as I write this so I might end up here…Nick kindly gave me a lot of music from his ipod so I am looking forward to listening to some of it. Until next time…I have a hunch that I will have quite a lot to write as there are a couple of imminent decisions that need to be made .
“When there are no words…know that the silences are carrying the thoughts and prayers of all who love you”.

january


Alors je pense que la dernière fois que j’ai écrit était a noël et nouvel an…il est maintenant le moment de raconter la visite d’un ami de Sydney, Nick. En vérité il est la dernière personne que j’aurais cru aller venir me rendre visite et je le lui ai dit. J’étais cependant très heureuse de le voir et de le faire visiter…je suis encore un peu fatiguée de la semaine! Il ne faisait malheureusement pas beau pendant son séjour, ce qui était dommage car il a fait super beau la semaine précédente…enfin bref, je suis allée le chercher a l’aéroport et on s’est reposés un peu chez moi avant de faire un tour et d’aller dîner dans le village avoisinant. Lundi Nick m’a aidé à enseigner les cours de primaire pour les étudiants de 5eme et 6eme. On a déjeuné avec les élèves de 5eme. On a aussi pu voir les élèves de 3eme et 4eme s’entraînés au taiko, ils sont vraiment très doués. Le soir on est allé a pied manger dans un restaurant près de chez moi et c’était cool car on était les seuls clients. Mardi j’avais une réunion pour le travail dans l’après midi a Hitoyoshi alors Nick est venu avec moi et il s’est promené autour du site du vieux château et je crois qu’il a même réussi a commander un café…
Mercredi c’était la classe de 4eme au collège, le cours s’est bien passé et puis on est allé déjeuner avec Ayami, c’était très sympa. Apres ça on est monté jusqu'à l’endroit ou il y a deux ponts suspendus…Nick a oublié de me dire qu’il a le vertige avant de y aller mais ça été…je pense qu’il a voulu surmonter sa peur ! Sur le chemin du retour nous sommes allés boire un thé chez Kyoko, et on a visite sa maison originale construite par son mari. Le cours de conversation pour les adultes mercredi soir s’est très bien passe sans que je fasse beaucoup de travail! Ca consistait d’une série de questions, soit Nick qui les posait aux élèves ou bien les élèves eux a leur tour qui lui posaient des questions ! Apres le cours on est allé dîner a Taragi et puis ensuite on est allé dans un bar pour chanter du karaoké ! Jeudi matin j’ai conduit Nick jusqu'à l’aéroport.
Samedi je suis allée au cours de poterie…ça faisait des mois que je ne suis pas allée…récemment le samedi matin j’ai toujours était occupée avec ce ci ou cela. Le prof était la et c’était la premier fois que je le rencontre…moi j’attendais une vieille japonaise experte en poterie mais non c’était un homme pas spécialement vieux mais évidemment très doué en matière d’argile…en trois minutes il m’a montré trois façons de fabriquer une anse pour ma tasse ! J’ai déjeuné avec les femmes du club de poterie et même si je ne comprends pas grand-chose je m’amuse et j’ai même goûté du venaison frite, c’était délicieuse.
Dimanche il faisait super froid le matin alors j’ai décidé d’amener du chocolat chaud aux élèves du club de tennis. Bon en écrivant ça je me sens un peu fatiguée alors je vais m’arrêter la…et dire a la prochaine. J’ai le sentiment que par la suite j’aurais pas mal a écrire car il y a plusieurs décisions qui vont être prises dans les jours qui viennent ! Nick m’a gentiment donné pas mal de musique de son ipod alors je vais écouter un peu.
« Quand il n y a pas de mots…sache que les silences portent avec eux les pensées et les prières de tous ceux qui t’aiment ».

2 comments:

nico said...

hey mate, i had the most lovely time in a while. thank you so much for taking me around and for giving me a truely Japanese experience like no other.

Kimmywoo said...

Thanks for posting those photos of Nick's trip to Japan Nicola - I haven't seen any yet. From Nico's sister Kim.